Why I am (95%) sure I want to go to USUHS.
1) Financial- I will be paid officer salary during medical school and come out of training with no debt. Thats a huge relief in the long run.
2) Patients- I don’t think I could ask for better patients then US soldiers and their families.
3) Training- Along with the normal medical school training, USUHS students get training in various things/situations that civilian medical schools do not teach. Much of this extra curriculum is focused on resource-poor settings. Considering my interests are in humanitarian aid and austere medicine I don’t think I could get better training anywhere else but USUHS
4) Travel- Clinical rotations all over the country and travel for either stationing or deployment. Deployment also sounds weirdly fun. I know it’s stressful and war is an awful thing but it sounds like the type of medicine I want to practice.
5) Freaking love D.C. and Bethesda
Oakland-Beaumont is a great up and coming school with an amazing hospital. But I don’t think it is the right school for me, culturally, and I’m not a huge fan of the area.